The Deccan College in Pune is one of the oldest educational institutions in the country. It was started by funds given by a Maratha Sardar Khanderao Dabhade and was later supported by the Peshwas, the institution was named as Hindoo College on October 6th 1821 by Mountstuart Elphinstonem, the Lieutenant-Governor of Bombay. In 1842 an English School was added to the College and both were merged to form Poona College in 1851. The College moved to it present campus in Yerawada on 15th October 1864 and was renamed as Deccan College. With its classical Neo-Gothic building, this college has been a seat of learning for centuries for Indians and has produced stalwarts like Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak, Gurudev R.D. Ranade, G.G. Agarkar, V.K. Rajawade, and Dr. Dwarkanath Kotnis.